"Dear Ask Alison,
Thanks for the reminder! Back to school always sneaks up on me too, so this year I put together a checklist to keep us organized and enjoying those last few precious weeks at the pool.
There are some new requirements this year, so be sure to check with your family physician. You can also attend this free educational event about Back to School Vaccines at the Library.
- Kindergarten: All students entering kindergarten are required to have at least 4 doses of DTaP/DPT/DT (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis) vaccine with the last dose on or after their fourth birthday; at least 3 doses of Polio vaccine with the last dose on or after their fourth birthday; 2 doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine; at least 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine, and 2 doses of Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine.
- 8th Grade: In addition to 1 dose of Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) vaccine, all students entering 8th grade are required to have one dose of MCV4 (Meningococcal Vaccine). This is a new requirement for the 2016-2017 School Year
- 12th Grade: All students entering 12th grade are required to have at least 2 doses of MCV4 (Meningococcal Vaccine) unless the first dose was administered at the age of 16 years or older, then only 1 dose is required. This is a new requirement for the 2016-2017 School Year
Miss the Back-To-School rush and schedule an appointment with your child’s provider or with the St. Charles County Dept. of Public Health Immunization Program (636-949-1857) today!
In addition, St. Charles County Dept. of Public Health Immunization Program will be holding Back-To-School Walk-In-Clinics with no appointment necessary. Click here for dates: http://goo.gl/UqDm6L
The St. Charles County Council voted to keep the Tax Free Holiday Weekend this year. Held the first weekend in August, this is a great time to get those larger items like computers.
The sales tax exemption is limited to:
- Clothing – any article having a taxable value of $100 or less
- School supplies – not to exceed $50 per purchase
- Computer software – taxable value of $350 or less
- Personal computers – not to exceed $1,500
- Computer peripheral devices – not to exceed $1,500
- Graphing Calculators - not to exceed $150
Some school districts also offer free or reduced school supplies and other services to families.
Wentzville Back to School Fair : Families in Wentzville schools will receive a free bag of school supplies and free MOChip Child Identification Kits.
St. Charles School District Family Festival: Families in St. Charles schools will enjoy free food and connect with services in the area
Kidsmart Tools for Learning: Offers three ways to donate school supplies for other families in need!